So I haven't updated in a few days... I have been very busy and haven't had time to do everything that I want! But now I am officially in Valladolid. So excited to be here as well :)
Before I talk about Valladolid I will tell you a bit about Madrid. We went to the Reina Sofia which is a modern art museum with works by Picasso and Dali. It was very cool. We also went to a small town near Madrid (I forget the name right now, Ill look it up later). I loved it there! There were so many cute buildings and they were all so colorful. The people were also very nice. We walked around and visited a palace/basilica/library from the 16th century. The people in Madrid were not very nice... I dont know if that was because we were 45 americans in a large group going everywhere or what. I hope that the people of Valladolid are nicer and more patient.
Now about Valladolid! We got here about 5 pm, a lot later than we were supposed to so our families were waiting for us at the bus station for a long time. It was because all of our luggage didn't fit in the bus! So we had to rent a separate car in order to fit everything. I could have told them that everything wasnt going to fit in the beginning! 45 people with 2 giant suitcases each... UGH! Anyway, we got off the bus and our mama was there waiting for us when we got off the bus. It all happened so fast! We met, she helped us with our luggage (My roommate Laurel and I) and we drove to her apartment. At first glance Valladolid is very clean, metropolis kind of city. They have big apartment buildings and there are lots of people! Her house is on the top floor of a big apartment and she has the entire floor. Its a very big place with lots of rooms. Laurel and I are sharing a room and we each have a closet and one window that is actually just a window to another room! but it will be fine. I will take pictures later and put them up on here to show how the apartment looks.
Mi mama es muy simpatica. She is 41 years old and has one daughter who is 24. I haven't met her daughter yet, I think she said she was at work or school or something. She does live here though. She has 9 brothers and sisters! most of which live very close to her. One of them lives on the 3rd floor of this apartment. She has lived in Valladolid her entire life and has been hosting exchange students for 9 years. So she knows pretty much exactly what we need/want which is very nice. She is also very patient with us and our spanish. It has already been a challenge communicating with her about certain things. I dont even know what we are doing tomorrow and how we get to the school! I guess I will just have to learn as we go... She is a nurse and works either in the night or in the morning so sometimes we will be on our own for dinner/lunch but she said that she will leave stuff out for us when she has to work.
I still cant believe I am here!!!! THis is crazy! I said to my roommate as we were unpacking our suitcases, "what are we doing in this foreign country again?!" We start school tomorrow, which will be weird getting into again because I haven't had school in so long. We will be taking a test to see which spanish class we will place into and then after taking a tour of Valladolid.
I do miss home a lot, but I think once I get into the groove of things everything will be a lot better. I just wish I knew more spanish! Oh well... I will learn, thats for sure!
Love you guys :)
Well it sounds like you are "almost" settled. I love reading your adventures. Be safe and enjoy your adventure. love you, Aunt Vickie
ReplyDelete