28 November 2009

A simple little kind of free

I haven't posted anything in a while! I know I have been holding you guys in suspense for a while. I hope I don't disappoint with the next few blogs, I have a lot to tell about!
I really can't believe that I only have 3 more weeks here. I have been getting kind of homesick these past few days especially because of Thanksgiving and because my family is all together and I wish I could be there with them. But yesterday was different. We were listening to a song in Spanish class and it was by one of the popular artists that is in a lot of the clubs and I got really sad. It just reminded me of the feeling I get when I go out. I can't tell you exactly why but I think its just the atmosphere of Spain. Going out at night (and that doesn't just mean to bars and clubs) I feel like I am in an entirely different world! Everyone is out, just walking around enjoying themselves no matter what age. At 8 pm at night the streets are packed with teenagers hanging out in groups, girlfriends having a cafe con leche together, husbands and wives from ages 30 to 80 linking arms and window shopping. Spaniards really do live their lives out on the street and you get so much more of a sense of community when you walk around because everyone is out! It really is an awesome country.
But of course there are some things I'm not going to miss. But as of right now I can only think of one and that is the food. Even though I don't like the food here I find myself gaining weight, dang it! Its because of all the eggs, white bread, and OIL. Oh well, I have my entire life to eat the kind of food that I want.
Besides me getting all sentimental I had a really good day yesterday. I went to class in the morning and then after class our Cal Poly group went to a wine museum that also happens to be a castle in a town right outside of Valladolid. It had amazing view and really cool picture opportunities (pictures to follow, my camera is charging). It was very interesting to see all of the exhibits about wine, I am getting very excited to get back to Cal Poly and continue with my major because wine has become a passion of mine since I have been here. After the museum we went to another town to hang out and eat our lunch and it was such a beautiful little "pueblo". The leaves were all turning on the trees and there were old buildings everywhere, yet another picture taking opportunity! Then we traveled for about half hour to a bodega in another town. This was my favorite part of the day. We started out by going on top of this big hill and watching the BEAUTIFUL sunset, maybe one of the prettiest sunsets I have ever seen. We took a tour of the fermentation room and the giant stainless steel tanks, just like any other winery I have been to but then we went into the cellar. The cellar is not what you think it would be. Along the hillside there are these doors that lead to giant tunnels that have been carved out and are now used to store the wine that is aging. There were hundreds and hundreds of barrels in these long mazes of tunnels inside the hill! It was SOO cool. I can't wait to show you pictures. Afterwards we went back to the main winery and tried some of their Crianza and a actually bought a few bottles so when I get back we can try them together and I will go into more depth about the winery. So excited for that :)
So yesterday was a really good day but today I have a lot of work to do. Two projects in two different classes. So I better get to that. Miss you guys!

xoxo
Abby

p.s. here are some topics that you have to look forward to:
Public transportation
Fashion of Valladolid
Description of my Spanish mama
Anything else that you want to know about?! let me know...


1 comment:

  1. ABBY! i loved your description of the streets in spain. that sounds like such a wonderful, intimate atmosphere. its exactly the same thing here. everyone at night meets on the beach, kicks back a few beers or just hangs out and enjoys the company of their loved ones. ive been with my family a few times and its so great because you run into all of your friends and relatives, because everyone is out. they dont sit in there houses solitarily like we do in the states.. we should make an effort to sit outside and meet neighbors :) upon return
    love kel

    ReplyDelete